CJK Engineering Development Solutions
Lowest Cost to Market, Trusted Solutions Provider.
We are your professional team of thermoforming and package engineering experts for industrial, retail, electronics, food/grocery, medical and OEM markets. Our focus is to get your product to market in the fastest possible time while looking at all aspects of the package/product that can have an impact on costs. Not just our costs to manufacture, but also how the package/product will affect your costs in manufacture, assembly, and distribution.
Packaging design has a direct impact on efficient manufacture, assembly, distribution, quality, sustainability and purchasing behavior. It has the power to enhance user satisfaction with the product, which in turn enhances brand preference and repeat purchases. Packaging design has a direct impact on costs and revenues in your operations.
Design for thermoforming has a direct impact on efficient manufacture, assembly, distribution and quality. Design for thermoforming has a direct impact on costs in both CJK’s and our client’s operations.
When we work with our clients in the development of packaging and thermoformed products, our design engineering process focuses on the following key features and benefits:
- Low package and tooling costs. Design the part and mold layout to use the minimum amount of material. Where possible, keep tooling design functional, but simple to avoid unnecessary costs.
- Customized design details to handle customer product criteria for positioning, retention and protection.
- Appealing display and branding of the product.
- Maximization of product density within the tray for lower storage and shipping costs, where applicable.
- Ergonomic considerations for:
- Efficiency in the design for handling the package or product for efficient integration into client’s assembly or use process.
- Evaluation of design and weight of package / product for ease of operator handling.
- Clients product and package assembly -manual or automatic. Ease of assembly for increased efficiency and reduced cost.
- Consumer or end user appeal and ease of use to enhance customer satisfaction, brand preference and repeat purchases of the product
- Nestability of package / product prior to use to minimize storage space requirements and costs.
- De-nestability of package / product for ease of separation and efficiency in assembly.
- Text/engraving of corporate logos, part numbers, desired text, resin ID codes, pocket numbering, etc. for identification and branding.
- Product protection features to contain or keep them from moving to prevent breakage.
- Definition and design development of key tray features to meet client needs throughout the product/tray life cycle. See detailed listing of various tray features here.
- Sustainability in regards to package / product size, type and amount of material used, reusability and recyclability at end of use which all have a direct impact on costs. View detailed information on our sustainability processes and efforts.
Our award winning engineering team has over 25 years of thermoforming and package engineering experience. Our staff includes degreed packaging engineers to allow us to apply professional packaging practices to our designs and processes.
Once all the package/product criteria have been established, we utilize the latest version Solidworks 3D CAD modeling software to create part concepts and engineering drawings for customer review and approval. In instances where the customer supplies the design, our engineering staff still works very closely with our clients to ensure the best and most cost efficient design is implemented. File conversions from our customer files are not a problem. Typical file formats are .stp, .igs and .x_t (parasolids). Contact us to discuss formats you prefer.
CJK Tooling Solutions
Once engineered drawings have been approved, we begin our in-house tool development process.
Key benefits from our in-house tooling capabilities are:
- Speed of response
- Lower Cost
- Shorter development cycle – Prototype/Tool build, test and debug quickly.
- Control of Tooling design for shortest possible cycle times with maximum repeatability.
- Prototype mold and sampling:Prototypes are created using the solid model created in the Engineering Development Process. This ensures design intent quality from the design to the tooling stage.Prototypes are made from a machined renboard (plastic composite material), FDM 3D printed or aluminum mold. Which format is dependent upon which is more appropriate for the design and intended use of the prototype samples.Samples are generally available 2 weeks after design approval, depending upon the design, size and type of prototype process utilized. A quantity of samples are provided to the client for approval.
- Production Tooling:When prototypes have been approved by the client, production tooling can begin.The solid model from the prototype is utilized to design the production mold. This ensures design intent quality from the design to prototype to the production tooling stages. We machine solid aluminum block in most instances to create the molds. Occasionally a cast aluminum tool may be made if the design intent, aesthetics and function will be met with this process. Other production tooling components are also developed and built in this stage (plugs, dies, stackers or other).Once the production tool is completed, a tool trial is made and evaluated.
In some instances, the prototype can be a smaller version of the complete product (ex. A few cavities of a tray or clamshell versus the entire array). This saves time in the development process.