Distribution / Kitting Clamshell packaging fully encapsulates, protects and organizes the product for distribution and use by the customer. In some applications, product visibility and display is not as important as product protection and organization. Clamshell design and material selection is critical to fulfill customer requirements. The typical clamshell design consists of a single hinge in the center of the package which folds-over to close and encase the product(s). The clamshell generally has a formed full perimeter snap, button snap or a combination of both features for package closure. In some applications, no closure method is required.
Distribution clamshell package designed to contain and protect heavy product. No snap or seal closure required for this application. Designed for durability and recyclability. Made from recycled HDPE.
Distribution clamshell package designed for visibility, containment and protection of a small light weight product. Perimeter snap feature used for the package closure. Designed for single use and recycleability. Made from recycled PETE.
Distribution / Kitting Clamshell packaging designed for visibility, containment, organization and protection of medical products. Perimeter and various button snap features used for the package closure. Made from recycled PETE.
Tri-fold or “Tent-style” Clamshell
This type of clamshell incorporates two hinge points in the clamshell package. When closed, the two hinges create 3 sides of the clamshell which come together to encase the product. This style clamshell is excellent for situations where shelf-standing is required, but they can also be hung on a peg hook display if required.
Distribution / Kitting tri-fold clamshell package designed to contain, protect and organize chemical product. Snap and seal closure required for this specific application. Designed for durability and recyclability. Made from blended virgin/recycled HDPE.
Our professional package engineering staff can provide solutions for a custom clamshell to meet your unique requirements.
When we work with our clients in the development of Distribution / Kitting Clamshells, our design engineering process focuses on the following key features and benefits:
- Low costs for package and tooling.
- Customized design details to customer product criteria for positioning, retention and protection.
- Appealing display and branding of the product.
- Ergonomic considerations for:
- Efficient clamshell layout and ease of product retrieval for efficient integration into assembly.
- Clients product and package assembly -manual or automatic. Ease of assembly for increased efficiency and reduced cost.
- Consumer or end user appeal and ease of use to enhance customer satisfaction, brand preference and repeat purchases of the product
- Client required sealing / closure method.
- Nestability of clamshell package prior to use to minimize storage space requirements and costs.
- De-nestability of clamshell package for ease of separation and efficiency in assembly.
- Text/engraving of corporate logos, part numbers, desired text, resin ID codes, pocket numbering, etc. for identification and branding.
- Snap-fit features to contain products or keep them from moving to prevent breakage.
- Definition and design development of key clamshell package features to meet client needs throughout the product/clamshell package life cycle.
Package size, type and amount of material used, reusability and recyclability at end of use all have a direct impact on costs. View detailed information on our sustainability processes and efforts.
Materials typically used for retail clamshells include: PETE, PVC, PETG, HDPE, PP, HIPS Recycled, blends, Virgin, FDA Grade, and Medical grades available. Static control (Anti-stat, ESD, Conductive) materials available. View complete list of commonly used materials.